previous arrow
next arrow


As stipulated in the Namibian Hunting Legislation, the smallest calibre allowed on plains game hunts is a 7mm and the minimum muzzle energy of 1350 Joules for Springbuck, Ducker etc., 2700 Joules for Red Hartebeest, Wildebeest, Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Eland etc. and 5400 Joule for Buffalo, Elephant, Rhino etc. We strongly recommend a .30 calibre or larger, fitted with a scope for plains game. This is however a personal matter and we suggest that you use whatever rifle (of adequate calibre/muzzle energy) you are most familiar and comfortable with. We recommend that you use partition or A-frame type of ammo.

Hunters entering Namibia with rifle(s) must complete a temporary import permit application form for all rifle(s) and/or ammunition in their possession. CLICK HERE to download the Namibian Temporary Firearm Importation Form. Should you prefer to travel without weapons, we have a fine selection of quality rifles in camp for hire. A maximum of two (2) firearms per client and 100 rounds of ammunition may be imported per rifle. We do suggest that only 60-80 rounds of ammunition per rifle are necessary. Only ammunition for the specific rifle calibre may be imported.

It is illegal to hunt with Full or Semi-automatic, handguns and crossbows in Namibia. Black powder rifles are legal to hunt with in Namibia, but it is illegal to transport black powder and percussion caps into Namibia. Black powder and percussion caps can be purchased in Namibia.

Bow hunting is legal in Namibia and NO import permit is required for bows being imported into Namibia for trophy hunting.

Just remember that if you are in transit through South Africa you need to fill out a SAP520 – temporary import Application for your rifle. We suggest filling in the form beforehand to save the processing time at the Police Office. CLICK HERE to download the South African Temporary Firearm Importation Form SAP520.

For clients travelling through South Africa on their way to get to Namibia the following documents is required. US clients proof of ownership Custom Form 4457 (contact your nearest airport for this form).

United Kingdom clients, you will need a copy of your firearm licence or certificate.

European Clients will need:
– A firearm possession licence or a European firearm pass.
– A letter from your local sheriff in the form of an affidavit confirming ownership, or an invoice from a gun shop where you have purchased the firearm(s).
– Proof of export of specific firearms from your country of residence (CBP Form 4457 – Certificate of Registration for personal effects take abroad)
– A letter of motivation written by you to clarify your, reason for wanting to import firearms into South Africa.

Alternatively you can contact Henry Durrheim of Rifle Permits in South Africa at or to arrange your South African firearm import permit.

All rights reserved by Keibeb Safaris. Another website by Maestro Media